Waterloo Class 2014-2015
Waterloo Class was created as part of the Drumbeat School’s brand-new and re-structured Key Stage 3 Department. It consists of 8 students, who are supported by three Teaching Assistants (Bushra, Donna and Mathieu) and supervised by a teacher (myself). Just like last year, all of our students will have the opportunity to participate in a wide and varied range of specialist activities, like music and drama, food technology and horse-riding.
During the Academic Year 2014-15 we will continue to deliver core subjects (English and Maths) in ability groups, where every pupil is teamed up with other students of similar ability to maximize his or her progress and achievement in those areas. However, the work will remain tailored to individual students’ needs and will always reflect their ability and the progress made. The students will continue to benefit from the broad and varied curriculum as well as having access, as required, to the following in-house therapy sessions:
- Speech and Language with Hannah Driver,
- Occupational Therapy with Rosie Hallett,
- Music Therapy with Claire Tillotson.
Additional weekly or regular highlights and extra-curricular activities in Year 9 will include:
- Interactive Storytelling with Keith Park,
- Drama and Music with the ever-entertaining duo, Tim & Tom,
- a wide range of sporting activities and competitions, from football to rowing, organized by Marie Steffen,
- Horse-riding at Willowtree Stables,
- swimming lessons and trampolining at the Downham Leisure Centre,
- spinning and yoga,
- ...and bowling at MFA Bowl, Lewisham.
The students in Waterloo Class will continue to participate and benefit from the Learning outside the classroom programme, which will enable us to make visits to the various sights and places of interest across London, as well as the local area to forge and maintain links with the local community.
As we brace ourselves for the winter, we look forward to a truly explosive, action and fun-packed year, so watch this space!
Artur, Bushra, Donna and Mathieu