Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child's difficulties with learning/Special Educational Need and/or Disability (SEND)?
The Headteacher: Marie Neave has overall responsibility for all children in the school. She is also the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO).  Your child’s class teacher is directly responsible for the progress of each child in their class and will have detailed information relating to each child.
What are the different types of support available for children with SEND at Drumbeat?
The first type of support will be provided by the class teacher as they will differentiate all teaching according to each child’s need. Other types of support are available from the school’s own Therapy and Psychology team (Speech and Language Therapy, Clinical Psychology and Counselling). They can be contacted in your child’s planner or home school book or by ringing the school on 0208 698 9738 (Drumbeat Downham) and 0207 635 9022 (Drumbeat Brockley). The Local Authority Special Needs Team can also be contacting at the following address:

Special Educational Needs

Kaleidoscope Child Development Centre
32 Rushey Green

Tel: 020 3049 1475
How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child's progress?
The first port of call should be your child’s class teacher, as they will have the most knowledge and experience of the child. Following this, the class teacher should liaise with the Assistant Headteacher responsible for the keystage if needed. Please feel free to call the school, write or talk to the class teacher directly to arrange a meeting.
How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning in school?
Your child’s class teacher should contact you as soon as possible if this is the case and not wait for a parents evening to discuss concerns. The teacher will either call, send a note or talk to you directly to arrange a meeting to discuss their concerns. This often takes the form of a “structured conversation” where both parties can give their input and targets for progression can be agreed between parent, child and teacher.
How are the staff at Drumbeat School supported to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?
All staff have different experiences of working with children with SEN. Many staff at Drumbeat have advanced qualifications in the education of children with special needs.  All staff have a comprehensive programme of Continuing Professional Development which includes the Autistic Education Trust school competencies (see the school’s CPD policy).
How will teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?
Teaching is adapted and differentiated to meet children’s individual needs. Each pupil has a Personalised Plan detailing a programme of study and children are taught a specialised curriculum according to their needs and abilities.
How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
Pupils are tracked using formative and summative assessment. Early support is targeted at any area of need. The process of planning targeted provision is firmly routed in a graduated approach with the focus on meeting the need and ensuring progress by organising provision around planned outcomes.
What support do we have for you as a parent/carer of a child with SEND?
The school has an open-door policy and work closely with educational and health professionals who can signpost parents/carers to further avenues of support. Parents and families are invited to contact the school over any issue.  A regular programme of training, workshops and coffee mornings are organised throughout the year, for example Parent Forum.
How is Drumbeat school accessible to children with SEND?
Drumbeat School is a purpose built special school for pupils with autism and learning difficulties.  The school architecture and design on both sites have been tailored to meet the special educational needs of this group of children.  Few of Drumbeat’s pupils have physical disabilities but all areas are the school are wheelchair accessible and a lift is available for wheelchair users. We have several toilets which have been adapted for disabled users and have disabled toilets for staff or visitors.  Our school complies with the Equalities Act 2010, which stipulates that schools have in place an Accessibility Plan.
How will we support your child when they start or leave Drumbeat School?
Drumbeat is an all age school for pupils with autism and learning disabilities aged between 4-19 years. Drumbeat Downham is for pupils in EYFS, KS1-KS3 and Drumbeat Brockley is for pupils in KS4 & 6th Form. At Downham, Primary is on ground floor and most of Secondary on the 1st floor.

Home visits are made by the Early Years Staff and transition visits are organised for new admissions. We support children in making a smooth transition when they move on to another school by exchange of information about the child’s strengths and needs with the new school

Transition internally between classes is managed very carefully through visits to the new class and transition meetings. To prepare for transition, children have transition plans and transition pathways where learners can spend time in their new classes. Similarly, most KS3 students stay on to KS4 & 6th Form, visits are organised for them to have taster days at Drumbeat Brockley. There are close ties between the SEN team at Kaleidoscope and Drumbeat.
What support will there be to support my child's overall wellbeing?
We have Safeguarding, Behaviour, Equalities, Accessibility and Anti-Bullying policies in place, these are available on our web site. We encourage collaborative learning and prioritise a curriculum that encourages social and emotional wellbeing through subjects such as PSHE. The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for children. This is overseen by the Deputy Headteacher responsible for children’s pastoral development.  A nurture room is available for children who find lunchtimes a challenge and there are areas and rooms set aside for times when children and young people need personal space. The school has a clinical psychologist and a counsellor who run specialist programmes to support pupils’ emotional needs. Class teachers and members of the Senior Leadership Team always available for children and young people to discuss any issues and concerns.
What support will there be for pupils with medical needs?
If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed care plan is compiled. This is done with support from the school nurse together with our Deputy Headteacher in charge of pastoral development and medical support.  Staff receive any necessary medical training such as Asthma and Epi pen training. The school has a comprehensive Medical Conditions policy. 
What is the Local Offer?
The Local Offer was first introduced in the Green Paper (March 2011) as a local offer of all services available to support disabled children and children with SEN and their families. Drumbeat’s Local Offer is contained on this website and copies are available from the school. More information about Lewisham’s Local Offer can be found at: